Luis Suarez Biography: Religion, Age, Parents, Family, Net Worth and Wife
Luis Suarez is a professional footballer who plays as a striker for the Brazilian club Grêmio and the Uruguay national team. He is widely regarded as one of the best players of his generation and one of the greatest strikers of all time. He has won several trophies and awards in his career, including the Copa América, the UEFA Champions League, the La Liga, the Premier League, and the European Golden Shoe. He has also scored over 500 career goals for club and country. He is known for his prolific goalscoring, his lethal finishing, his creativity, and his work ethic. He is also notorious for his controversial behaviour, such as biting opponents, making racist remarks, and doping.
But do you know the story behind his success? Do you know how he overcame poverty, adversity, and controversy to become a legend of the game? Do you know who is the woman who inspired him to pursue his dreams? Do you know how he lives his life off the pitch? If you are curious to find out more about Luis Suarez, you have come to the right place. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about his religion, age, parents, family, net worth and wife in 2023. Let’s get started.
Early Life and Family Background
Luis Alberto Suarez Diaz was born on January 24, 1987, in Salto, Uruguay. He is the fourth of seven boys. His father, Rodolfo Suarez, was a porter from a poor mixed background, having African ancestors. His mother, Sandra Diaz, was a housewife who encouraged him to play soccer. When he was seven years old, his family moved to Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay, for work. However, they lived in a shanty town and struggled to make ends meet.
Suarez developed a passion for football at an early age and joined a local club called Urreta. He also played street football with his friends and siblings, especially his older brother Paolo, who also became a professional footballer. Suarez idolized Argentine legend Diego Maradona and Brazilian star, Ronaldo, and dreamed of becoming a famous footballer like them.
Education and Soccer Passion
Suarez was not very interested in academics, and he often skipped school to play soccer on the streets. He joined a local club called Urreta, where he showed his talent and scored a hat-trick in his first friendly match. When he was nine years old, he was spotted by Wilson Perez, a scout for the Nacional youth team. He invited him to join the academy, where he trained and improved his skills. When he was 12 years old, his father left the family, and he had to work as a street sweeper to help his mother and grandmother.
Meeting Sofia Balbi
When he was 15 years old, he met Sofia Balbi, who changed his life. She was 13 years old, and she came from a wealthy family. They fell in love at first sight, and she became his motivation to pursue his soccer career. She also helped him to quit drinking and to focus on his studies. However, their relationship faced a challenge when her family moved to Barcelona, Spain, because of her father’s job. Suarez was heartbroken, and he vowed to follow her to Europe.
Suarez made his senior debut for Nacional in 2005, when he was 18 years old. He scored 10 goals in 27 games, and helped his team win the Uruguayan league title. He attracted the attention of several European clubs, and he chose to join Groningen in the Netherlands in 2006. He scored 10 goals in 29 games, and impressed the fans and the media with his speed, dribbling, and finishing. He then moved to Ajax, one of the biggest clubs in the country, in 2007. He signed a five-year contract for 7.5 million euros, and became the club’s captain. He scored 111 goals in 159 games, and won the KNVB Cup and the Dutch Footballer of the Year award in 2010. He also became the club’s fourth-highest all-time goalscorer.
Playing for Liverpool and Barcelona
In 2011, Suarez joined Liverpool in the Premier League, one of the most competitive leagues in the world. He signed for 22.8 million euros, and formed a prolific partnership with Daniel Sturridge. He scored 82 goals in 133 games, and won the League Cup in 2012. He also won the PFA Players’ Player of the Year, the FWA Footballer of the Year, and the European Golden Shoe in 2014, after scoring 31 goals in 33 league games. He also helped his team reach the final of the UEFA Europa League in 2016. He became the club’s seventh-highest all-time goalscorer.
In 2014, Suarez moved to Barcelona in Spain, one of the best clubs in the world. He signed for 64.98 million pounds, making him one of the most expensive players of all time. He formed the famous MSN trio with Lionel Messi and Neymar, and won 13 trophies with the club, including four La Liga titles, four Copa del Rey titles, and the UEFA Champions League in 2015. He scored 198 goals in 283 games and became the club’s third-highest all-time goalscorer. He also won the European Golden Shoe for the second time in 2016 after scoring 40 goals in 35 league games. He also led La Liga in assists, becoming the first player to do so in both goals and assists in league history.
Joining Atletico Madrid and Grêmio
In 2020, Suarez joined Atletico Madrid, another top club in Spain. He signed for 6 million euros, and reunited with his former Uruguay teammate, Diego Godin. He helped Atletico win their first La Liga title since 2014, scoring 21 goals in 32 games. He became the first player to win the La Liga title with both Barcelona and Atletico Madrid. He also became the oldest player to score 20 or more goals in a single La Liga season, at the age of 34.
In 2023, Suarez joined Grêmio, a Brazilian club in the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A. He signed for 15 million dollars and reunited with his former Barcelona teammate, Lionel Messi, who had joined Inter Miami in 2022. He became the highest-paid player in the league and the biggest star in the club’s history. He scored 17 goals in 37 games and helped Grêmio reach the playoffs for the first time. He also became the first player to score on four different continents.
National Team Career
Suarez made his debut for Uruguay in 2007, at the age of 20. He has since become his country’s all-time top scorer, with 68 goals in 137 games. He has also represented Uruguay at four World Cups, three Copa America tournaments, and one Olympic Games.
Suarez’s most memorable moment for Uruguay came in the 2010 World Cup, when he scored a brace against South Korea in the round of 16 and then blocked a goal-bound header from Ghana’s Dominic Adiyiah with his hand in the quarter-finals. He was sent off, but his sacrifice allowed Uruguay to win the penalty shootout and reach the semi-finals for the first time since 1970. He also became a national hero and a villain for the rest of the world.
Achievements and Awards
Suarez has won many individual and team awards throughout his career. Some of his most notable achievements are:
- He is Uruguay’s all-time leading goalscorer, with 68 goals in 137 games. He has also played in four FIFA World Cups, and helped his team win the Copa America in 2011, and reach the semi-finals in 2010 and the quarter-finals in 2018. He was the top scorer of the 2011 Copa America with four goals, and was named the best player of the tournament. He also holds the record for the most goals scored in the CONMEBOL World Cup qualifiers, with 25 goals.
- He is one of the only six players to have won the European Golden Shoe twice, in 2014 and 2016. He is also one of the only three players to have won the Pichichi Trophy and the European Golden Shoe in the same season, in 2016. He is also the only player to have won the European Golden Shoe while playing for two different clubs, Liverpool and Barcelona.
- He is one of the only nine players to have scored over 50 goals in the UEFA Champions League, and one of the only four players to have scored in two different finals, in 2015 and 2019. He is also the only player to have scored six goals in a single Champions League group stage, in 2016.
- He is one of the only four players to have scored over 150 goals in both the Premier League and La Liga, and one of the only two players to have scored over 30 goals in a single season in both leagues, in 2014 and 2016. He is also the only player to have scored three hat-tricks against the same opponent in the Premier League, against Norwich City.
- He is one of the only three players to have won the league title in four different countries, in Uruguay, the Netherlands, Spain, and Brazil. He is also the only player to have won the league title with both Barcelona and Atletico Madrid.
Personal Life and Relationships
Marriage and Children
Suarez married his childhood sweetheart Sofia Balbi in 2009, after dating for six years. They have three children: Delfina, born in 2010, Benjamin, born in 2013, and Lautaro, born in 2018. They live in a luxurious mansion in Porto Alegre, Brazil, where they moved in 2023. Suarez is very close to his family, and often dedicates his goals to them by kissing his wrist, where he has a tattoo of his children’s names.
Controversies and Scandals
Suarez is also known for his controversial behaviour on and off the pitch, such as biting opponents, diving, and racially abusing others. He has been banned for a total of 39 games in his career, the most of any player in history. He has also been fined and suspended by his clubs and national team for various incidents. Some of his most infamous moments are:
- In 2010, he bit Otman Bakkal, a PSV Eindhoven player, on the shoulder during a match. He was banned for seven games and nicknamed “The Cannibal of Ajax”.
- In 2010, he deliberately handled the ball on the goal line to prevent Ghana from scoring in the quarter-final of the World Cup. He was sent off, but Uruguay won the penalty shootout and advanced to the semi-final. He celebrated the victory from the sidelines, and later said that it was “the best save of the tournament”.
- In 2011, he racially abused Patrice Evra, a Manchester United player, during a match. He was banned for eight games and fined 40,000 pounds. He also refused to shake Evra’s hand in a later match, causing a brawl between the teams.
- In 2013, he bit Branislav Ivanovic, a Chelsea player, on the arm during a match. He was banned for 10 games and fined an undisclosed amount. He also apologized to Ivanovic and offered to donate money to a charity of his choice.
- In 2014, he bit Giorgio Chiellini, an Italy player, on the shoulder during a match in the World Cup. He was banned for nine international games and four months from all soccer activities. He also lost his sponsorship deals with Adidas and 888poker. He later admitted that he had a problem and sought professional help.
- In 2019, he attempted to get a penalty by diving in the box during a match against Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey. He was booked for simulation and mocked by the fans and the media. He later defended his action and said that it was part of the game.
Suarez has also been involved in some off-field controversies, such as:
- In 2013, he admitted that he had cheated on his wife with a waitress in 2011, when she was pregnant with their second child. He said that he regretted his mistake and that his wife had forgiven him. He also said that he had become more mature and faithful since then.
- In 2014, he was accused of biting a DJ at a nightclub in Ibiza, Spain. He denied the allegation and said that it was a misunderstanding. He also said that he had no intention of hurting anyone and that he was just having fun with his friends.
- In 2016, he was involved in a tax evasion case in Spain, where he was accused of hiding his image rights income from the authorities. He agreed to pay a fine of 1 million euros and avoid a trial. He also said that he had acted in good faith and that he had followed the advice of his lawyers.
Philanthropy and Social Causes
Despite his controversial image, Suarez is also a philanthropist and a supporter of various charities and causes. He has donated money and equipment to his former clubs, schools, and hospitals in Uruguay. He has also supported organizations such as UNICEF, the Special Olympics, and the Luis Suarez Foundation, which helps underprivileged children and families. He has also written an autobiography, titled Crossing the Line: My Story, which was published in 2014. He donated part of the proceeds to the charity.
He is an ambassador for the FIFA 11 for Health program, which promotes health awareness and education among children. He also donated €100,000 to the Uruguayan public health system in 2020, to help fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He also supports the Special Olympics, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and the Pies Descalzos Foundation, among others.
Luis Suarez Religion
Suarez is also very religious and credits his faith for helping him overcome his difficulties and challenges. He is a devout Catholic and wears a rosary around his neck. He also prays before every game and thanks God for his achievements.
Net Worth and Lifestyle
Income and Assets
Suarez is one of the richest and highest-paid soccer players in the world. He has an estimated net worth of 70 million dollars as of 2023. He earns a salary of 15 million dollars per year from his club Grêmio, and he also earns money from his endorsements and business ventures. He has signed deals with brands such as Adidas, Pepsi, Gatorade, and Huawei. He also owns a clothing line called LUIS, which sells apparel and accessories for men, women, and children.
Suarez owns several properties around the world, such as a mansion in Porto Alegre, Brazil, where he lives with his family. He also owns a villa in Castelldefels, Spain, where he lived when he played for Barcelona. He also owns a penthouse in Miami, Florida, where he visits his friend Lionel Messi. He also owns a farm in Salto, Uruguay, where he grew up.
Suarez also owns a collection of luxury cars, such as a Range Rover, a Porsche, a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, and a Bentley. He also owns a private jet, a yacht, and a helicopter. He likes to travel with his family and friends, and he has visited places such as Dubai, Maldives, Bahamas, and Hawaii.
Spending Habits and Hobbies
Suarez is not a lavish spender, and he prefers to save his money for his future and his family. He also likes to invest his money in real estate and stocks. He also pays his taxes and his fines on time, and he does not gamble or smoke. He also donates a portion of his income to charity every year.
Suarez has many hobbies and interests, such as reading, writing, playing video games, and watching movies. He also likes to play golf, tennis, and chess. He also likes to cook, especially barbecue and pizza. He also likes to listen to music, especially rock and pop. He also likes to learn new languages, such as English, Spanish, and Portuguese.
Luis Suarez is one of the most decorated and influential players of his era, and he has inspired many young players to follow his footsteps. He is admired for his passion, determination, and skill, as well as his loyalty to his family and friends. He is a legend of the game, and a hero of his country. He is Luis Suarez, the Pistolero.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How old is Luis Suarez in 2023?
A: He is 36 years old, as he was born on January 24, 1987.
Q2. Who is Luis Suarez’s Wife?
A: His wife is Sofia Balbi, whom he met when he was 15 years old. They married in 2009, and they have three children.
Q3. How many times has Luis Suarez bitten an opponent
A: He has bitten an opponent three times, in 2010, 2013, and 2014. He was banned for a total of 26 games for these incidents.
Q4. What is Luis Suarez’s current club?
A: His current club is Grêmio, a Brazilian club in the Campeonato Brazilian Série A. He joined the club in 2023, after playing for Nacional in 2022.
Q5. What is Luis Suarez’s nickname?
His nickname is El Pistolero, which means The Gunman in Spanish. He earned this nickname for his sharp shooting and scoring abilities.